Monday 27 August 2012

Page 42




Bryce had spent the whole morning in the shower scrubbing himself as hard as he could, he had finished two bottles of body wash and rubbed himself with two bars of soap until they were nothing but two tiny soapy stones on the shower floor. The stench of death and rotting flesh was finally off him, after his shower he had been too tired to eat and just collapsed onto his bed and slept his way into the evening.

Bryce woke to sound of somebody frantically hammering on his front door, he groaned loudly and dragged himself out of bed and to the door.
‘You’re alive,’ said Assad when Bryce had opened the door and let him in.
‘I feel somewhat uneasy that the fact surprises you,’ smiled Bryce. ‘My friend if you knew where I spent most of last night and this morning your greasy hair would curl itself horribly.’
‘This is not the time for pleasantries!’ snapped Assad. ‘You need to get out of here right now!’
‘What are you talking about?’ asked Bryce taking seat on his couch.
‘Have you not looked at any of the newspapers today?’ asked Assad.
‘No,’ replied Bryce. ‘I only just got out of bed.’
‘Bryce,’ said Assad grimly. ‘They’re coming for you. Your face is plastered in every newspaper and every shop window in the city.’
‘Saying what?’ asked Bryce.
‘The police want you in connection with the death of that girl.’
‘Lacie? They’re gonna try and pin Lacies death on me?’
‘Yes my friend, you need to go now!’
Bryce stood and paced around his small living room. ‘You are right, I must flee the country. But I cant leave Sophia here.’
Assad rolled his eyes. ‘Bryce let her go.’
‘I can’t!’ he snapped. ‘If I leave her here I am condemning her to death, they will kill her too.’
‘WHAT ABOUT THE OTHERS BRYCE?’ shouted Assad. ‘YOU TAKE THAT GIRL AND YOU ARE CONDEMNING THE OTHERS, NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO YOU WILL BE CONDEMNING SOMEBODY!’
‘BUT WITH HER WE HAVE A CHANCE, A HOPE TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE!’ roared Bryce shoving Assad hard in the chest. ‘I CANT SAVE THEM ALL NOW, BUT BY TAKING ONE, ONE WHO IS NOT SCARED TO TRY AND ESCAPE AND TELL THE PEOPLE OUT THERE WHAT'S GOING ON IN HERE, WE CAN MAKE a difference.’
Assad rubbed his chest and made for the door. ‘You can do what you want. But I am advising you to hurry.’ Assad slammed the door behind him and was gone.


No comments:

Post a Comment